Thursday 2 February 2012

Predictable old me.

January, and it's resolutions pretty much went up in smoke. I drank 3 times in the month, after planning not to drink. I didn't lose any weight; but didn't put any on either, and I only managed to get 270 miles done on the bike; which I guess can be excusable because of the weather, and I didn't really advance my maths knowledge as far as I'd liked. We're in February now, and I am still a maths retard. I was doing linear equations, and quadratic (sort of getting, but not quite); but I've realised after doing one of the level 2 papers, that I need to swat up on the more remedial stuff first, before I press on. I have until mid June to get up to speed; I've never been confident about getting the B in Maths; but it's the only option that I have, so I must go with it.  If I don't get a B, then I don't get the position it's as simple as that.  If I keep procrastinating, then it's my own damn fault if I'm moaning on here about not passing, come August.  I had my third English language assessment back, in which I got the top band; so that's 3 in the top band so far; next week's controlled assessment, is the 'rant' - I have a feeling I will get maximum marks for that. So, I'm ticking over nicely for an A in English, and I'd like to think I'm ticking over nicely for an A in Literature as well. The sciences, maybe A's, possibly B's. I've felt so sorry for myself today, and yesterday. What's passed is past.

I had a tax rebate last week, from 2007;  and I also had a few winners on the horses, so I went in to spontaneous spending mode; and as I type this, I now have little money left. But I'm pretty happy with my purchases:

1: Seaworthy; adrift with William Willis in the golden age of rafting - T.R Pearson
A novelist, pretty much summarizes my HERO; William Willis' adventures. I've been meaning to get this for a few years now; I guess it was on my wish list. I look forward to reading it.

2: The Real Heroes of Telemark - R Mears
Not really a fan of Ray; I think he's a pompous scrotum; but to be fair to him, this book is fantastic. I'm interested in this, obviously, because of Knut Haugland taking part in the raid, before his exploits on the Kon-Tiki.  I've read it, but it was that good, I felt I should buy it. The gripping account 2 Norwegian resistance operations, gunnerside, and grouse; just about sabotaging a heavy water production plant at Vermok.   Heavy water is instrumental in getting a nuclear reactor going; so the stakes were high! Although it has recently been shown that the barrels that they "sank" didn't contain enough of the stuff to be a danger. Still.


3:  I'd recently watched a cracking documentary called Deep Water, on the none stop around the world Yacht race, in 1968. I was particularly interested in Donald Crowhurst; who essentially, went mental, and pretty much killed himself, but we'll never know. I have the book to read, I've had it for a while; Tom Mcnally, the fearless atlantic crossing record holder gave it to me. I was also interested in Bernard MoitessierThe Long Way - Who essentially, was about to win the race; and decided that he would turn his boat around, and carry on sailing around the world. I'm very eager to read this book.  I've also purchased Robin Knox Johnsons' A World of My Own: The First Ever Non-stop Solo Round the World Voyage - I guess he won the coveted prize by default. I'm sure it will make for some good reading.

4. I purchased "The best of: The Kingston Trio" on CD

5. Had my mudguards fitted on my winter bike, and I also purchased a pannier, and a rack bag; so my winter bike looks like I'm a right "tourer" - I guess you've got to be into cycling to know what a "tourer" actually is. My definition is "Middle aged/Elderly male, with a bike fitted with lots of baggage; slow travelling, and probably carrying NOTHING AT ALL"  I'll basically be using it for my long rides, so I can take food/water/waterproofs. I also purchased some new electrolyte tablets as I've ran out of my SIS GO. I was doing 70 mile rides last year, and when I started on the electrolytes, I was getting about 20 or more miles before getting totally drained. These one's I've bought have fewer calories.

Fucking Christ,  I'm starting to bore myself now. To be honest, I was bored when I started writing this.

I also spent £200.00 on a weekend in Krakow, Poland. Last week, I was kicking a can; moaning to myself about not having the money to get away; the next day; BAM- tax rebate. I am going with my friend from my days at secondary school, Paul. It should be funny, with my volatility, and his OCD; it should make for an odd weekend to say the least. I will try and borrow a camera and take some pictures of shitty old buildings and such. There's the option to visit the concentration camps; but, I'm really not sure this is something I want to do; I will decide when I get there. So, In just 2 weeks time, I'll be leaving for Poland. I'm still scared of flying; but, I need to face the fear, because, when I become a deck officer, I'll be flying all over the show.  I wasn't supposed to pay that much, and I'm pretty much as cheesed off as I can be. If you book via Icelolly.com, be sure to do some background checks on the company before you even ring them; my company, "Deal of the day holidays" - part of "jetline" are absolute cretins, and should be avoided at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment