Tuesday 7 August 2012

Ten 'nautical' Songs

Here's my list, in no particular order; of my favourite  maritime or nautical; if you like, related songs.....by that, I mean there's some sort of literal link within the songs gist.   Don't worry; I've omitted Crosby, Stills, and Nash from the selection as well as Rod fucking Stewart AND Enya in the spirit of not being an obvious tool.




 Styx. I love this song; and if I'm ever in the vicinity of  alcohol, and a guitar, I usually play it. It sounds abysmal when I do it, obviously, as you need a piano really.....






The Doors, Ship of fools....I could have maybe put 'land ho' but, I like this song a little more...







 Sloop John B, While I've posted the Beach Boys version, I do prefer the Kingston Trio's version, but they'll be appearing later in this list, and quite frankly, I think that Brian Wilson is a genius! I went to see him in Liverpool a few years ago, and he was laden with session musicians. I'm not sure if it was awesome, but I am sure that Pet Sounds is one of the greatest records- ever. 










 Ship to Shore- Chris De Burgh. I know what you're thinking. Just click play, and try and block out the abysmal 80's synth sound; it's a decent song, promise. 








Reuben James by The Kingston Trio- I love a good story song. This song pays tribute to the men who lost their lives aboard the USS Reuben James(U-boat casualty). I did want to post "Oh, sail away" by the Kingston Trio, but there's not a suitable version, that I can find, and the lyrics are a little bit questionable, by today's ultra PC standards.








  Luka Bloom - My sunny sailor boy.  Some of Luka's music is amazing, he's also got a fair chunk of abysmal shit released. If you can sift through the shit stuff, he's a worthwhile artist to follow.  







Split Enz - Six months in a leaky boat, by default, any music project with Neil Finn involved is amazing, or at least, that's what I think. 









Surely no Nautical 'mix tape',  would be complete with out a Jimmy Buffet song? Changes in Latitude








Shadows Fall - The Coral = This is the EP version.



God Knows - The Coral - "We go out, we come in, but god knows where we've been" Taken from their second EP 'The oldest path'  



That's it. My top ten nautical or maritime themed songs, in no particular order. I hope it has bored you as much as compiling it bored me. 

1 comment:

  1. Dude.... You forgot on a boat by lonely island!!!!!!


    Hahaha

    Spence

    ReplyDelete