Monday 2 January 2012

Time killing, and more time killing. If time killing was a crime. . .

It's hard to put in words what goes on in my head when I walk in Birkenhead park with Guinness; so when Chris was walking with me earlier today; I asked her to take some photos. 

I've been doing a fair bit of time killing on the internet over the past few days so here's some of my "finds".

Perhaps the most saddening; is of an account of a sailing disaster that occurred off the coast of Wirral in Victorian times; involving an unquantifiable loss of life due to a drunken captain; and some bad weather. Report posted here, from The Liverpool Mercury news paper.

Here is a link to a fascinating account (click the brochure here ) of a German bomber, shot down by a trio of Hawker Hurricanes over The Wirral; noted as one of the fastest kills in aviation history. The flight commander; landed back in Speke and drove his car through the Mersey tunnel to Bromborough to take a momentum from the incident. There's some background information here; on the incident; and the pilots here)

The story of a Spitfire being 'restored' and put on show in a Hoylake Garage forecourt(The site of the current Sainsbury's) It was sold, and appeared in the film "The Battle of Britain"  and after that, was sold, and restored to  actually fly. Notice the engine in this plane is actually a more bigger and powerful engine than in the original Spitfire (5 propeller blades, rather than 4) It was used in the modern film "Pearl Harbour". It's actually a mixture of two spitfires built up from scrap.
More pictures, and further information. here and here

I also read on wiki wirral's history page that a chap used to have a Vampire jet (pictured below) in his garden in Vyner road. That would have been some sight! Not been able to find any more information on it though. Typing in "Birkenhead Vampire" didn't help. Just cemented the fact that there are a lot of people out there relying on escapism for their existence. 



So, as you can see; I'm really looking forward to going back to college; and cracking on! I've taken my facebook page down after much deliberation; so from one utterly pointless waste of time to another. Chris has got desperate scousewives on, and I am actually lost for words. I've looked at some of their twitter pages; and all of their "about me" sections contain details of their management. Desperate indeed. Is it real? I'm confused. These cretins are one of the reasons I hate society so much. People want fame for being brainless, and talentless. They need to just fuck off and die; and so do all the people who are interested it; this ball bag claims he's "Britain's most brutal blogger" - I can't believe I spent 60 seconds on his site. No comments; about as brutal as a bag of kittens; and the content; well...it's basically a poorly written Internet version of one of those god forsaken "goss" magazines.  Confusing as it is; ultimately; it does not matter if it's real or not. What matters is that I temporarily stop typing and leave this room.....

...and continue writing out of the way of that monstrosity of a programme- god bless the wireless age. What's even more important; is that I NEVER WATCH it again. I'd seen the adverts for it, and felt embarrassed for Liverpudlians; but fuck me. What is the world coming to?  Utterly contrasting eh? Blathering on about Spitfires one minute; and then talking about plankton brain TV the next. I'm ashamed of myself. I really am. 

Sorry.




No comments:

Post a Comment