Monday 9 April 2012

I wonder, how far from here we'll fall?

I wonder, when I see those annoying "swot the fly to win an I-pod" type pop ups; are people actually that stupid? Does the Go Compare advert actually make people want to go on their website, and compare? I know I don't want to compare anything, EVER again to be honest. Do people really believe that people in Clonmel say "there's method behind the Magners" and it's not some faux dictum created in some magnolia walled, laminate floored board room in some soul-less city?  I won't even go there.

It seems, in this market based society that we live in- that everything and anything is for sale- sell sell sell. For me, on a personal level; I find it cringe worthy! I'd like to think, on a personal level, these attempts to get my custom are counter effective- in fact, I am the type of person who will not forget these "transgressions"- as I like to call them! For example- the food chain Iceland had Kerry Katona, mincing about, posing as a bona fide representation of efficient motherhood and wholesomeness; which vexed me, more than words could represent. I vowed to myself, that I would never ever shop in Iceland ever again; and I haven't- I actually e-mailed Iceland telling them, 'thanks to their forward thinking marketing department; creating the concept of depicting that horrid talentless coke head slag as something she's not' has lost them a customer for life.  A little harsh you might think, but I always remember seeing a clip of Katona on some Living TV programme, prior to her pop career- and it was painstakingly apparent then; than she was a horrible person, and probably a coke head. I made my mind up then, and after just now checking on her wiki page; I was initially pleased that it informed us she was a lap dancer; and topless model, prior to her squeaky clean pop career- yet it omitted the Living TV thing- that seemed a little Stalinist- then, after skimming her page; I noticed that Iceland had ended their contract with her in 2009, because of photographs of her snorting cocaine. How fucking great am I? I'd like to think that that person at Iceland's customer care hub, who read my e-mail back in 2002-ish was feeling a bit small back when it all came out....no...I don't think so either. I doubt it was even read to be honest. The fact remains; while there are people out there who think about things; a vast majority of people are happy not to think at all; and are happy to have what they eat, wear, drink, and listen to; drilled into them by the relentless multimedia machine that is instrumental in the society we live in and it's quite scary, isn't it?  Cold calling, street salesmen, junk mail, pop ups, annoying commercials; they're all on the increase. What the fucking hell is going on? 

 I've always loved observing trends, weather it's fashion, or even music tastes. Try speaking to people about it on an individual basis though! It's a pretty sore subject- they don't want to talk about it- they see them selves as 'individuals' - Fashion is pretty hilarious at the moment; styles will be portrayed, via pop stars on music videos, or 'notable' people in magazines, this usually coincides with the swankier retailers in clothes having the stock; so that the "edgy" types, can buy into the shit first. Then, after about 6 months (although, it used to be longer than this) you'll see jarg versions of what was "edgy" being sold in Primark in mass bulk. Ahh Primark . . . where fashion goes to die.  It seems these days that fashion is sort of dissolving into one big melting pot; and there doesn't seem to be that much diversity- that, or I'm out the loop and I'm glad. I always remember getting myself a pair of Converse All-Star shoes, about 11 years ago- and I was out in Moreton cross in the big house. This was around about 2001 ish; I was under age, and I was drinking in the pub- and I had my converse on, and some fat, ginger, four eyed wank stain, who was a hanger on, of one of the "big cheeses" in the cross shouted at me "eeeeee, get on you in your gay pumps" - "Dangermouse is looking for you" I replied. The blank look on his moronic face suggested my rip had been wasted. Flash forward 8 years (yes, I usually leave it 8 years between visits to Moreton cross) and I'm in the bighouse, and the aforementioned blert; is standing at the bar, only now, the coke head indie fun boy fashion seems to have altered a little....what has Liam Gallagher been wearing? Actually, I doubt Liam Gallagher would wear all stars, but, you know what these 'oasis' fans are like these days; pretty much any band that gets a mention in the nme is cool, and the arctic monkeys are cool, and everything is fucking cool 'man'- including 'gay pumps' apparently. Mind you, I'm a little late in pointing this out; as all stars have pretty much gone full circle. . They're shit anyway; they don't last five minutes(a bit like the credibility of contemporary indie bands -arf arf arf) Practicality for me, now-  It's funny how the consensus acts towards things alien to it, collectively. I remember when red hair would be frowned upon, by the brainless herd; now (well, not exactly, RIGHT NOW, but recently) because pop stars like Rhianna have red hair....they do as well. The North End of Birkenhead is a hilarious place to observe such things. 



No comments:

Post a Comment